Updating an ESX host using vCenter Update Manager
Update Manager downloads the list of available patches from vmware.com
To set up frequency of the repository update:
Click Home > Update Manager icon > Configuration tab > select Patch Download Schedule
To view the Patch Download scheduled task:
Click Home > Scheduled Tasks > VMware vCenter Update Manager Update Download
- You can manually run this task by right-clicking on it and clicking Run.
- When running, you see Download Patch Definitions task in the Recent Tasks
- If the Download Patch Definitions task fails, ensure Update Manager can reach vmware.com. For more information, see VMware Update Manager network port requirements (1004543).
To attach the baselines to the ESX host:
- Click Home > Hosts and Clusters.
- Highlight the ESX host you want to update and click the Update Manager tab.
- Click Attach. Select Critical Host Patches and Non-Critical Host Patches baselines and click Attach.
Note: To create custom baselines click Home > Update Manager > Baselines and Groups > Create.
To scan the ESX host for missing patches against the repository:
Right-click on the ESX host and click Scan for Updates > choose Patches and Extensions and click Scan.
- Scan progress is shown by the Scan Entity task in the Recent Tasks.
- The host scan will not effect your running virtual machines.
- If the scan fails, ensure the ports between Update Manager and the ESX host are open. For more information, seeVMware Update Manager network port requirements (1004543).
- When the scan is complete you see the number of patches missing on the ESX host. If no patches are missing, you see Compliant.
To remediate the missing patches to the ESX host:
- Power off all virtual machines or VMotion them to a different ESX host.
- Place the ESX host into maintenance mode. Right-click on the ESX host > click Enter Maintenance Mode and click Yes.
- Right-click on the ESX host and click Remediate > select Critical Host Patches and Non-Critical Host Patchesbaselines > click Next > choose which updates or patches to install > click Next > click Next > click Finish.
- Remediate progress is shown by the Remediate Entity task in the Recent Tasks.
- This task might take some time as Update Manager starts downloading patches from vmware.com.
- If the remediation fails, ensure the ports between Update Manager, the ESX host, and vmware.com are open. For more information, see VMware Update Manager network port requirements (1004543).
- The ESX host might reboot after remediation completes.
This video details installing patches or updates to your VMware ESX host using VMware vCenter Update Manager. This video was created using ESX 4.0 and Update Manager 4.0. The same basic steps apply to other versions of ESX. This video also shows you how to determine how often your host checks for patches or updates, where to schedule the task, and how to run the task manually.